Cardiff University abruptly called off plans on Thursday to announce its next chancellor, Wales Online reported. In Wales, as in England, university chancellors' role is largely ceremonial and it is the vice chancellor who is the equivalent of the American university president, but many academics care about who is named chancellor. At Cardiff, the university was expected to announce Thursday that Griff Rhys Jones, a comedian and television star, was to become chancellor. But news that an entertainer was up for the job led some faculty members to push for another term for Martin Evans, a biologist and Nobel laureate.
- Quick Takes: Southern Illinois Ends Minority-Only Fellowships, New GRE Is Delayed, SMART Grant Becomes Law, House Leaders Back McKeon as Education Chair, Canadian and Welsh Student Papers Publish Cartoon of Muhammad
- New Presidents or Provosts: Antioch U. Los Angeles, Cardiff U., Diablo Valley College, Lewis-Clark State College, Rosemont College, U. of Arkansas System
- Australia plans to shift from measuring quality alone to impact of research
- Professor Quits Amid Charge of Improper Relationship
- Desiring the Idea of the University
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories