Forget control of Congress and the World Cup. FiveThirtyEight, the new Nate Silver blog, is finally tackling a truly important issue, with a poll of Americans on the Oxford comma. The blog found that 57 percent of Americans favor the comma, while 43 percent oppose it. The poll also asked respondents to evaluate their own grammar. Proponents of the comma tended to rate their grammar as excellent or very good, while those who rated their grammar as fair were more likely to oppose the comma.
- Amplifying 'The Signal and the Noise'
- Colleges announce commencement speakers
- Friday Fragments
- Rhetoricians' responsibility to help students navigate election season (essay)
- 4 Quick Tips for Better Writing in any Discipline
- On Writing; Well...
- Airlines, Cable, and the Unbundled University
- Great Tools
Search for Jobs