August 28, 2015
Wednesday and Thursday saw several shootings -- one resulting in a student death -- and other security incidents on campuses. Here is a round-up of local press reports:
- Savannah State University announced today that a student died at a local hospital to which he was taken after being shot in an altercation at the student union. The university has delayed classes this morning until 10 a.m. and has grief counselors on site.
- Two people were shot in a Texas Southern University parking lot. The man arrested was not a student.
- Authorities at Mississippi State University detained a freshman accused of making suicidal and homicidal threats that led to a campuswide alert.
- A Chicago man has been charged with threatening to blow up a building at Concordia University in Illinois.
- Northern Kentucky University officials detained a female student for bringing a gun to campus. The gun was found to be inoperable.
Opinions on Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Blog U
What Others Are Reading