It's that time of year again, when new students arrive on campus and faculty members and administrators feel old. Beloit College has been trying to bridge the generational divide since 1998 with an annual "mind-set list" to remind those who work in academe what the new students have and have never experienced. This year's list is out today with reminders about this year's freshmen. Among the tips:
- They can’t recall a time when the United States was not at war, or when someone named Bush or Clinton was not running for office.
- Vladimir Putin has always been calling the shots at the Kremlin.
- The Sandy Hook tragedy is their Columbine.
- Tony and Carmela Soprano and the gang have always been part of American culture.
- Airline tickets have always been purchased online.
- There have always been iMacs on desks
The complete list (and lists from past years) may be found here.
On Monday, The Onion released a spoof of the mind-set list, with such items as:
- Most were only able to smoke in bars and restaurants until the age of 5.
- Most likely won’t actually graduate college until 2022.
- Will always be younger and more vital than you.
Inside Higher Ed’s Blog U
What Others Are Reading