The board of the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges issued a statement on the responsibility of trustees to promote an inclusive campus climate, with principles of civility in place.
The statement said that boards and campus leaders should:
- Embrace "transparency on the part of presidents, who must work in collaboration with their boards on campus climate issues."
- Conduct "a periodic review of policies that impact campus climate, ensuring that they are current and consistent with institution mission and relevant laws and regulations."
- Ensure "the allocation of appropriate resources to address campus climate needs."
- Support "the creation of proactive, responsive, and adaptive governance practices, including those that create diversity on the board itself."
- Be champions of "diversity and equal opportunity in the faculty and staff hiring and development process."
The full statement may be found here.
Inside Higher Ed’s Blog U
What Others Are Reading