The board of the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges issued a statement on the responsibility of trustees to promote an inclusive campus climate, with principles of civility in place.
The statement said that boards and campus leaders should:
- Embrace "transparency on the part of presidents, who must work in collaboration with their boards on campus climate issues."
- Conduct "a periodic review of policies that impact campus climate, ensuring that they are current and consistent with institution mission and relevant laws and regulations."
- Ensure "the allocation of appropriate resources to address campus climate needs."
- Support "the creation of proactive, responsive, and adaptive governance practices, including those that create diversity on the board itself."
- Be champions of "diversity and equal opportunity in the faculty and staff hiring and development process."
The full statement may be found here.
Opinions on Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Blog U
What Others Are Reading