University Trustee Haiku
Richard Kneedler reviews the rules of good governance, and how they were broken at Penn State and U.Va.
Trustees learn some rules:
“Keep noses in -- fingers out!”
Do we know they work?
In June, Visitors
Of U.Va. put all their
"Fingers in" -- quite fast.
July came ‘round and
PSU’s board took the stage
“Noses out” -- quite far.
Sad -- the rules proved right
As the boards got them so wrong --
Q.E.D. times two.
Richard Kneedler is president emeritus of Franklin & Marshall College and a consultant and operating officer with Ann Duffield & Colleagues, a firm providing strategic counsel to college and university chief executives and boards. He previously served as interim president of Rockford College.
- Essay on Penn State, U.Va. and faculty governance
- Vatican Bars University in Peru From Using 'Catholic' in Name
- Deep Financial Problems for Memphis Art College
- Sexual assault survivors tell Congress to increase protections in VAWA
- Notre Dame graduate students petition against contraception lawsuit
- Faculty accuse Wayne State of trying to kill tenure rights
- Criticism of athletics spending in wake of Penn State unlikely to slow growth
- Report Identifies New Competencies for Medical Programs
Search for Jobs