Educators and others in China are debating a popular meme in which female students at a Tsinghua University, a leading Chinese institution, post photographs of themselves before and after they enrolled, The South China Morning Post reported. The "after" photographs generally show the women appearing more attractive and with lighter skin. And this has led to people saying that the theme of the meme is, “Off to Tsinghua to become white, rich and beautiful.” The meme has appeared on the university's admissions blog, prompting criticism that it is all a promotional campaign from the university. The university replied to the criticism on its blog, saying: “After an unforgettable experience at Tsinghua, changes in one’s appearance and attitude are not all that shocking. Character building is the most important.”
- New book explores achievements and challenges of China's 'rising research universities'
- University of Washington and China's Tsinghua U launch institute with Microsoft millions
- Chinese nationals indicted for elaborate cheating scheme on standardized admissions tests
- The Preoccupation with China
- I, Meme, Mine
- Taiwan Enters the Fray
- After 15 years of expanding its presence in China, Bryant University plans branch in Zhuhai
- Who Gets Into India’s IITs?
Search for Jobs