June 7, 2015
Now that Amazon’s Echo speaker will read Audible audiobooks, I have a dilemma. Should I buy one these things?
We may have a situation where the audiobook nation emerges from the shadows and buys up Echo’s like Cabbage Patch Kids in 1983. Or we may sit on the sidelines, watching and waiting as those audiobook early adopters take the plunge
Let’s go through the Pros and Cons of the Echo for Audiobooks:
Echo Audiobook Pros:
- To resume listening the audiobook that I’m reading, all I would have to say is - “Alexa, read my book.”
- Anytime that I’m alone in my house I could use Echo to listen to a book.
- Audiobooks will sound much better with Echo than they do with the built in iPhone speakers.
- Might result in less time with audiobooks via earbuds - averting future hearing loss.
Echo Audiobook Cons:
- The Echo is not waterproof - can’t listen in the shower.
- Playing audiobooks through the Echo might cause my wife to kill me.
- Not built for mobile use - may look funny in the car.
- Will have to explain to my wife and kids why audiobooks on the Echo are better than audiobooks using computer speakers.
How would you add to these lists?
Read more by
Opinions on Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Blog U
What Others Are Reading