Editor/Product Manager, Digital Learning
Inside Higher Ed seeks an experienced editor to oversee a new content channel focused on how colleges and universities use digital technologies to reimagine how students learn.
“Editor” barely captures the breadth of the roles this person will fill. Yes, the successful candidate will drive the editorial vision for the various forms of content we will deliver, and edit -- and produce some of -- that content.
But this will be a community of interest as well as a source of high-quality professionally oriented content, offering an integrated mix of information services, events and professional development. As a result, we expect the editor to become an ambassador to that community and a national expert on these topics, as comfortable cultivating university vice provosts who oversee online education as the CEOs of the companies seeking to served the industry.
The editor will be expected to:
- Take the lead on setting editorial direction for the entire Inside Digital Learning suite of content products.
- Conceive, assign and write or edit a stream of relevant, compelling content that will inform and engage readers who are professionals trying to do their jobs better.
- Manage a staff reporter and relationships with an array of outside contributors (freelancers, columnists, bloggers) who will produce editorial content.
- Use and interpret traffic and readership data to drive decisions about how best to serve our audience.
- Represent Inside Higher Ed and the new content vertical in speaking engagements and at other events.
- Develop and launch a series of events that will help build meaningful relationships with our audience.
- Work with Inside Higher Ed's technology team and outside partners to build new products and services for Inside Digital Learning.
- Manage and cultivate online user community.
The successful candidate should have:
- At least five years of professional experience.
- Strong editorial expertise – we need someone with meaningful journalistic chops and excellent editing and writing skills.
- Experience building or running things – be it a publication-within-a-publication, an event series, a brand, or a new venture of another kind.
- Comfort with public speaking and representing an organization
- Experience with business-to-business content; knowledge of the digital learning or higher education market preferred.
Inside Higher Ed publishes breaking news, features, commentary, blogs and other content each weekday, and has quickly established itself as a fresh, authoritative, independent voice for its 1.6 million unique monthly users and 116,000 daily e-mail subscribers.
Inside Higher Ed offers competitive pay, good benefits (including heavily subsidized health, dental and life insurance premiums), and three weeks' vacation. Centrally located in downtown D.C. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and five strong clips to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Editor, Digital Learning Search
Inside Higher Ed
1015 18th Street, N.W., Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20036
No phone calls, please.