April 30, 2012
The following colleges and universities have announced their commencement speakers for spring 2012:
- Bates College: Bonnie L. Bassler, chair of Princeton University's Council on Science and Technology; Robert De Niro, the actor; and Gwen Ifill, senior correspondent for "PBS Newshour."
- Benedictine University, in Illinois: The Rev. R. Daniel Conlon, who was recently appointed by Pope Benedict XVI as bishop of Joliet.
- Berkshire Community College: Victoria Kennedy, a lawyer and the wife of the late Senator Edward M. Kennedy.
- Centre College: Janet H. Brown, executive director of the Commission on Presidential Debates.
- Dartmouth College: Wendy Kopp, founder and chief executive officer of Teach for America.
- Dominican University of California: Ronan Farrow, the diplomat and human rights lawyer.
- Gettysburg College: Jacqueline Novogratz, founder and CEO of Acumen Fund, a non-profit global venture fund
- Grand Valley State University: James Brooks, vice chair of the Grand Valley Foundation, and Juan Williams, political analyst for Fox Television.
- Grinnell College: Jamaica Kincaid, the novelist.
- Liberty University: Mitt Romney, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee and former governor of Massachusetts.
- Randolph-Macon College: Yvonne W. Brandon, Richmond Public Schools superintendent.
- State University of New York at Albany: Judith Sheindlin, the presiding judge on "Judge Judy."
- University of Mary Washington: Neil Howe, founding partner of LifeCourse Associates, and author of Generations; and Shawn Boyer, founder and chief executive officer of Snagajob.com.
- West Virginia Wesleyan College: Lloyd G. Jackson II, chair of the institution's board, a member of the West Virginia Board of Education and former state senator.
Read more by
Today’s News from Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Quick Takes
What Others Are Reading