May 9, 2012
The following colleges and universities have announced their commencement speakers for spring 2012:
- Arcadia University: Patricia Hill Collins, Distinguished University Professor of Sociology at the University of Maryland at College Park, and Fred de Sam Lazaro, a PBS correspondent.
- Bentley University: Larry Lucchino, president/CEO of the Boston Red Sox, and Ming Tsai, the chef.
- College of New Rochelle: Carla Harris, a managing director at Morgan Stanley Investment Management.
- Daniel Webster College: Retired Rear Admiral Jan Cody Gaudio.
- Juniata College: James Madara, chief executive officer of the American Medical Association.
- Manhattan College: Cardinal Timothy Dolan of the Archdiocese of New York and John Esposito, retired president and CEO of Bacardi U.S.A., Inc.
- Mount Saint Mary College, in New York: Elizabeth Ailes, publisher of The Putnam County News & Recorder and The Putnam County Courier.
- National Hispanic University: Deborah A. Santiago, co-founder and vice president for policy and research at Excelencia in Education.
- Northwestern College (Iowa): Laura Jacobson, a lawyer for the St. Frances Cabrini Center for Immigrant Legal Assistance, in Houston.
- Nyack College: Steve Forbes, chairman and editor-in-chief of Forbes Media, and Michael Louis, chairman of hotels, vineyards and strategic Initiatives for the Louis Group International of South Africa.
- Paul Smith's College: Joan H. Weill, a philanthropist who is former chair of the college's board.
- Pratt Institute: Santiago Calatrava, the architect, engineer and artist.
- Salt Lake Community College: Abby Wambach, the soccer player.
- Western New England University: Neil deGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist and the director of the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History.
Read more by
Inside Higher Ed’s Quick Takes
What Others Are Reading