Beloit College marks the start of new academic years by releasing its annual "mindset list" -- helping academics understand what their newest students didn't experience (except maybe from reading on Wikipedia) that may have shaped their professors. Some highlights of the new list, released today:
For the entering class, most born in 1994:
- Kurt Cobain, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Richard Nixon and John Wayne Gacy have always been dead.
- They have always lived in cyberspace, addicted to a new generation of “electronic narcotics.”
- If they miss "The Daily Show," they can always get their news on YouTube.
- Robert De Niro is thought of as Greg Focker's long-suffering father-in-law, not as Vito Corleone or Jimmy Conway.
- Bill Clinton is a senior statesman about whose presidency they have little knowledge.
- They have never seen an airplane “ticket.”
- For most of their lives, maintaining relations between the U.S. and the rest of the world has been a woman’s job in the State Department.
- Their folks have never gazed with pride on a new set of bound encyclopedias on the bookshelf.
The full list, plus previous year's lists, may be found here.
Read more by
Today’s News from Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Quick Takes
What Others Are Reading