- New 'mindset list' helps academics understand the freshmen
- The Mindset of Freshmen
- How This Year's Frosh Will Make You Feel Older
- What Your Frosh Know (and Don't)
- Beloit releases annual 'mindset' list -- and two professors try to kill it
- Beloit releases annual "mind-set list" on what freshmen know and don't know
- The Beloit College 'Mindset' List
What Freshmen (Don't) Know
Beloit releases annual "mindset list" to remind professors that their newest students won't get the term "press pound" and never had reason to fear the Unabomber.
As the academic year starts, Beloit College has each August since 1998 released a "mindset list" to remind professors and administrators that their experiences are very different from those of the students who are starting off in higher ed (at least those who are coming straight from high school).
The list typically captures headlines (and has drawn some criticism) over the years. Here are some selections form this year's list:
- During their initial weeks of kindergarten, they were upset by endlessly repeated images of planes blasting into the World Trade Center.
- Meds have always been an option.
- When they see wire-rimmed glasses, they think Harry Potter, not John Lennon.
- “Press pound” on the phone is now translated as “hit hashtag.”
- The water cooler is no longer the workplace social center; it’s the place to fill your water bottle.
- Women have always attended the Virginia Military Institute and the Citadel.
- FOX News and MSNBC have always been duking it out for the hearts and minds of American viewers.
- Courts have always been overturning bans on same-sex marriages.
- Women have always been dribbling, and occasionally dunking, in the WNBA.
- The Unabomber has always been behind bars.
- There has always been a national database of sex offenders.
- Yet another blessing of digital technology: They have never had to hide their dirty magazines under the bed.
- Bill Gates has always been the richest man in the U.S.
- One route to pregnancy has always been through frozen eggs.
- They have probably never used Netscape as their web browser.
- Affirmative action has always been outlawed in California.
Search for Jobs