Mark Drummond, chancellor of the Los Angeles Community College District, took an unexpected leave last month and on Thursday announced that he was resigning, effective July 31. Drummond is midway through a four-year contract and no reason was given for his sudden departure. Drummond was chancellor of the district from 1999 to 2004 and then left to become chancellor of the state's community college district. He returned in 2007, saying that he really wanted to return to the Los Angeles job. A spokesman for the district declined to elaborate on the statement except to say that the decision was "mutual" between the chancellor and the board. In the announcement, Drummond noted the successful passage of a series of bond measures that have provided $5.7 billion for renovations and construction of the nine campuses in the district.
- New Presidents or Provosts: Asheville-Buncombe Technical CC, Broome CC, Higher Colleges of Technology, Maryville College, Pacific Oaks College, Singapore U. of Technology and Design, Southeastern Oklahoma State U.
- Quick Takes: Calif. Community College Chancellor Resigns, $100M to Eliminate Loans at Chicago, High Graduation Rates With Low-Income Students, Impact of Debt on Students, Lenders' Code of Conduct, Apple Unveils iTunes U., Textbook Report Previewed
- California changes law on how community colleges are financed
- New Presidents or Provosts: Brevard CC, Galen U., Hillsborough CC, Pierce College (Calif.), San Jose/Evergreen CC District, Seattle Central CC, Wittenberg U.
- New Presidents and Provosts: Brevard CC, Galen U., Hillsborough CC, Pierce College (Calif.), San Jose/Evergreen CC District, Seattle Central CC, Wittenberg U.
- New presidents or provosts: DeVry Doña Ana Goucher IU-Kokomo IU-Southeast Mitchell Murray Rockhurst
- Helping Hand for Compton
- No Place Like Home
Search for Jobs