3 Historians Win Bancroft Honor
March 18, 2010
Columbia University on Wednesday announced this year's winners of the Bancroft Prize, considered one of the most significant honors for historians. The winners are:
- Linda Gordon of New York University, for Dorothea Lange: A Life Beyond Limits (W.W. Norton).
- Woody Holton of the University of Richmond for Abigail Adams (Free Press).
- Margaret D. Jacobs of the University of Nebraska at Lincoln for White Mother to a Dark Race: Settler Colonialism, Maternalism, and the Removal of Indigenous Children in the American West and Australia, 1880-1940 (University of Nebraska Press).
- Quick Takes: Sudden Leave at Southern Illinois, Claremont McKenna and Lafayette Add Aid, Another Cartoon Controversy at U.Va., Payroll Snafu, St. Edward's Expands in France, Quidditch Spring Break, Bancroft Prizes, Rare Look at Morrill Act
- Dinty W. Moore on "Three Graces" by John Griswold
- 3 Historians Win Bancrofts
- New book on the "professional shift" in the discipline of history
- Quick Takes: Davenport Closes Campuses, 5 Professors Win Pulitzers, Bankruptcy for Private Loan Guarantor, Tenure News on YouTube, Champions in Chess and Mock Trial
- Quick Takes: Remark Costs Instructor a Job, Gender Gap in Salaries, Suit Against Western Ky. Blocked, Hunger Strike Ends at Stanford, Tensions at Miss. Valley, End of Career Education Probe, Prof Accused of Hoax, Clark and Bancroft Awards
- Quick Takes: ETS to Pay Millions for Errors in Teacher Test, Pell Recipients Up 33% Since 2000, Bancroft Prizes, Actors Studio Will Start MFA at Pace, Abortion Compromise at Bowling Green, Ontario 2-Year College Strike Continues, Bob Jones Bars Starbucks
- Nobel Doubts
Search for Jobs
Cedar Rapids, IA
Chestnut Hill, MA
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
North Dartmouth, MA
Located on the North side of Chicago, North Park University is a comprehensive and Christian liberal arts university that serves nearly 3,200...
Located on Boston’s historic south shore, within walking distance of Quincy Bay, Eastern Nazarene College (ENC) recently celebrated its 100th...