China has barred a literature professor at the Beijing Film Academy from traveling to the United States to attend meetings of the Association for Asian Studies, the Associated Press reported. Cui Weiping had a U.S. visa, but was blocked from leaving with no official reason given. She believes that she is being punished for Twitter posts expressing outrage at the jailing of a political activist, and her speaking out about the anniversary of the Tiananmen democracy protests.
- The Blacklist Academic Leaders Ignore
- Groups raise concerns that British human rights activist is being blocked from entering U.S.
- Lawmakers look at Chinese influence on American universities
- Another Professor Denied Entry
- Signs of a Thaw in China
- Fraying of Academic Freedom
- Debate renews over Confucius Institutes
- Why Do Chinese Students Seem Apolitical?
Search for Jobs