Some of the news in the student press this April Fool's Day:
- The Diamondback at the University of Maryland at College Park is reporting that as one of his last initiatives before stepping down as president, Dan Mote is trying to have the institution's mascot changed from the terrapin to the panda.
- Student Life, of Washington University in St. Louis, satirizes the boom in applications for Teach for America (ever popular with students worried about the job market) by suggsting that the career center is now urging students to consider joining Strip for America. The founder of that organization is quoted as saying: "A lot of people have this misperception that there are good strippers across the country, but that’s just not true. Some people today are really put at a major disadvantage; they live in communities with little or no funding for quality strip joints.”
- Washington Square News has some fun with New York University's growth agenda by suggesting that the university has purchasd Columbia University.
- The GW Hatchett focuses on the alleged Twitter account of George Washington University's president. Steven Knapp.
While most of the April Fool's Day news comes from student journalists, those comedians at Johns Hopkins University have announced on their home page that they are changing their name to John Hopkins University (dropping the S from Johns), since so many people do so anyway. President Ronald J. Daniel is quoted as saying: "We're fighting a losing battle here. And we strongly suspect the extra 's' was a typo in the first place."
- Missouri Student Editor Apologizes for April Fool's Edition
- Georgetown Humor Magazine Accused of Racism
- Hopkins Incorrectly Sends Acceptance Email to Nearly 300
- Quick Takes: Big Price Tag for Sports, Mich. Voters to Decide on Affirmative Action, Harvard Improves Aid Plan, Parental Contact, Shortfall for Houston CC, Review of Health Professions Programs, Court Win for U. of North Dakota, April Fool's Selections
- Blizzard Disrupts a Meeting and Prompts Snowball Fights
- "Identifying the right partner is critical. One of the criteria by which I am defining the right partner..."
- Scientists for a New Age
- Hopkins Again Leads in R&D Spending
Search for Jobs