A year ago, the actor James Franco pulled out as commencement speaker at the University of California at Los Angeles, amid complaints from some students that he lacked the stature appropriate to their graduation day. This year, some students are organizing against the appearance of Gustavo Arellano, who is author of a syndicated column "Ask a Mexican," LA Weekly reported. Arellano posted a YouTube video of a phone message he received from a parent saying she was "disgusted" by his selection and asking him to withdraw.
- You Can't Handle the Truthiness!
- Online Ed Goes to Hollywood
- Student's video leads to discussion of race at UCLA
- The New Class Monitors
- Quick Takes: Stimulus Bill's Pell Funds at Risk, New Furor Over Ben Stein, Bias Perceived in Policy Research, Degrees for Sale, House Passes Security Bill, Charges Divide UMass, Quincy Wants Independence, Cheyney Brawl, 2 Colleges Drop Football
- Faculty Council wants Rutgers to rescind commencement invitation to Condoleezza Rice
- Long Distance Mom: Zumba, Midterms
- Colleges announce commencement speakers
Search for Jobs