Newberry College announced Monday that its sports teams will be known as "Wolves," a name suggested by students. Newberry stopped using its old name, "Indians," in 2008, after the National Collegiate Athletic Association pushed members to stop using Native American names. While figuring out its future name, Newberry was among three colleges without names for their teams.
- Most colleges adjust to moving away from Native American mascots
- Changing Nicknames, Under NCAA Duress
- Dartmouth Apologizes for Indian Incidents
- Mascots, Indians and Adults-Only Cartoons
- Quick Takes: Report Reviews Tech and Higher Ed Issues, Key Senate Aide to Depart, Criticism at Baton Rouge Community College, Auburn Urged to Revamp Board, $100 Million for Baylor Med, Muscatine Drops 'Indians' Name, Punctuation Errors at Stanford
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories