College Readiness and State Policy
June 30, 2010
A new policy brief by the National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education and the Southern Regional Education Board outlines steps states can take to improve the college readiness of their students. Among the suggestions:
- The development and adoption of college readiness standards in reading, writing, and math -- jointly by K-12 schools and postsecondary education.
- High school assessments that measure students’ progress on the readiness standards.
- Public school curriculum that reflects the standards.
- Senior-year high school courses designed to raise students’ skill levels in reading, writing, and math.
- Professional development for current and aspiring teachers on using the readiness standards in their instruction.
- The use by colleges and universities of students’ performance on the high school tests for college placement.
Search for Jobs
Old Westbury, NY
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
The Coast Commun ity College District is a multi-college district that includes Coastline Community College , Golden West College , and Orange Coast...
About Ursinus College Founded in 1869 First admitted women in 1880 1,650 students from 35 states and 12 countries 20% students of color 12 to 1...