It appeared last year that the fight over the University of North Dakota's "Fighting Sioux" team name was over, with the university working out a deal to remove the name, which is seen as offensive by many Native Americans in ways that set off a conflict with the National Collegiate Athletic Association. But the fight was revived this week with a vote by the North Dakota House of Representatives to require the university to keep the name, and to request that the state sue the NCAA, the Associated Press reported. The bill now goes to the Senate.
- Quick Takes: Second Thoughts in California, Economist Admits Fraud, Nobel in Medicine, Benefits Data, Artifacts Dispute, 'Fighting Sioux' Warning, Removing Sex Offenders, Middlebury Seeks Campaign Record, 'Cloud Computing' Drive, 'Booze News' Questioned
- Quick Takes: Horowitz Disrupted at Emory, Deal in Works on 'Fighting Sioux' Name, Randolph Eliminates 5 Departments, International Rankings Questioned, N.J. Colleges Criticized, NCAA Punishes Ark., Court Win for Chapman, Deadlines Extended for Fire Region
- Quick Takes: 7 Students Killed in Fire, $85M Not to Change Name, Princeton to Return Art to Italy, 3 Years for 'Fighting Sioux' Name, Chief Images Allowed in Parade, Club Proliferation, Vandals Who Want to Smoke, Invincible Donovan U.
- Shunning the 'Fighting Sioux'
- Quick Takes: New Presidents at Texas and Baylor, $5.65 Billion for NSF, Report Explores Benefits of Dual Enrollment, North Dakota Again Appeals Mascot Ruling, Blogger Denied Tenure Lands New Job
- Quick Takes: Outreach to Latino Students, Myers U. in Financial Danger, Salisbury Drops SAT, Dallas Student Linked to Taliban Supporters, Dalkey's New Home, Berkeley Restricts Study in Israel, Cheating Scandal at Columbia, North Dakota Fires Back
- Most colleges adjust to moving away from Native American mascots
- Quick Takes: Economics Nobel, Another Speech Furor at Columbia, Rushdie to Emory, Strike Averted at Harper, Suit to Block Coeducation, CollegeNET vs. XAP, North Dakota Sues NCAA, Eating Disorders
Search for Jobs