Morton Schapiro, president of Northwestern University, issued a statement Thursday saying that he was "troubled and disappointed" by an after-class presentation in which a naked woman was stimulated to orgasm with a sex toy. Northwestern's first statement after the incident became public defended the academic freedom of the professor who arranged the presentation. But Schapiro's statement was much more critical. "Although the incident took place in an after-class session that students were not required to attend and students were advised in advance, several times, of the explicit nature of the activity, I feel it represented extremely poor judgment on the part of our faculty member. I simply do not believe this was appropriate, necessary or in keeping with Northwestern University’s academic mission," he said.
John Michael Bailey, the professor who teaches the course, did not respond to an e-mail request for comment on Schapiro's statement. But he released a statement to The Daily Northwestern, the student newspaper, about his thinking about the sex toy demonstration.
- Finances and Faculty Foibles
- Lost Academic Freedom
- The Professor's Night Job
- Getting Out the Vote
- Faculty members claim university made them remove a controversial journal issue from its website
- Kink clubs like Harvard's well-established, healthy for students
- New Presidents or Provosts: Birmingham-Southern College, LDS Business College, Northwestern U., Riverside CC, Schenectady County CC
- Defining College Success
Search for Jobs