Gates Grants for 'Breakthrough Learning Models'
June 20, 2012
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation on Tuesday announced $9 million in grants for "breakthrough learning models" in higher education:
The awards include:
- $3.3 million to EDUCAUSE for four winners of the Next Generation Learning Challenges' latest RFP. These winners include state systems, four-year and two-year programs, and all have signed up to deliver significant improvements in completion at scale, at affordable tuition rates.
- $3 million to MyCollege Foundation to establish a nonprofit college that will blend adaptive online learning solutions with other student services.
- $1 million to Massachusetts Institute of Technology to develop and offer a new, free prototype computer science online course through edX, a joint venture between MIT and Harvard, and partner with a postsecondary institution that targets low-income young adults to experiment with use of the course in a "flipped classroom."
- $1 million to the Research Foundation of the City University of New York to support the launch of the New Community College (NCC) at CUNY.
- $500,000 to University of the People to support the pursuit of accreditation.
- $450,000 to the League for Innovation in the Community College to develop and pilot a national consortium of leading online two- and four-year colleges that will help increase seat capacity in the community college system and support more low-income young adults in attaining a postsecondary credential. The consortium will initially include Coastline Community College (CA), the University of Massachusetts Online, Pennsylvania State World Campus and the University of Illinois-Springfield.
- Foundation and four-year college team up on online associate degree program
- Portmont College and Mount St. Mary's chart new territory with online associate programs
- Online learning for underserved students in focus at International Conference for Online Learning
- Educause, Gates Unveil Grants for 'Breakthrough' Models
- Kresge Grants Support Urban Education Ecosystems
- Education Department awards $75 million in innovation grants to colleges
- From Community Colleges to the Elites
- Obama administration announces new college commitments and funding for low-income students
Search for Jobs
La Plata, MD
PILANI, RAJASTHAN, India
Jersey City, NJ
One of the nation’s top urban public research universities, Temple University is a dynamic workplace in the heart of one of the nation’s most vibrant...
Since we opened our doors in 1960, the educators at Miami Dade College have focused on providing quality and innovative educational opportunities to...