The Ig Nobel Prizes, an annual spoof of the real Nobels, for 2012 were awarded Thursday night. Among the research achievements honored were work on why coffee spills when you walk (the fluid dynamics award), why some people in a town in Sweden have their hair turn green (the chemistry award), why chimpanzees can recognize other chimpanzees individually from photographs of their rear ends (the anatomy award) and a report about reports about reports (the literature prize). Details of this year's awards may be found here. The first real Nobel for 2012 will be announced October 8.
- Quick Takes: House GOP Proposes Aid for Hurricane Victims, U. of New Orleans Starts Online Semester, Promoting Higher Ed for Students With Developmental Disabilities, Revamped GRE, Ig Nobels for Work on Slowly Dripping Tar and Replacement Dog Testicles
- Quick Takes: F-Word Editor at Colorado State Keeps Job, Big Win for RIAA, Clinton Vows to Defend Science, Biden's Education Plan, Ig Nobel Prizes, 'Pimpin' Film Leads to Prof's Suspension, Protests Over Berkeley-BP Deal
- Prized Vocations
- The Final Dispatch; Goodbye for Now; Big News; A Clerihew Contest with Prizes
- Quick Takes: Ig Nobel Prizes, Pelosi Pledges Pell Increase, Promoting Engagement, More Travails for Corinthian, U. of Cal. and Nurses in Deal, Nova Southeastern Custodians Unionize, Conviction in Grade-Buying Case, Imperial to Leave U. of London
- Nobel Peace Prize -- for Education?
- Ig-Nobel Thoughts
- Nobel Doubts
Search for Jobs