William Stewart has resigned as a trustee of Southwestern College, a community college in California, saying that the administration was not providing accurate information to trustees or the faculty union with which it is negotiating. The college's student newspaper, The Sun, published the resignation letter, in which Stewart said that "without information, without all information, oversight is a sham." Stewart is a philosophy professor at San Diego City College. A spokeswoman for Southwestern told NBC 7 San Diego that "we would have to respectfully disagree with" Stewart's statement. "We've been providing all the budget information the board and the union has asked for. We're just sorry he chose to resign."
- Utah Dean Apologizes and a Chair Rescinds Resignation
- Quick Takes: Gifts to Education Up 9.8%, Anger on DePaul Tenure Cases, Alumni Fury at Antioch, Strike Looms in Pa., New Mex. State Settles With Muslims, Miss. Valley President Quits, Minn. and Wis. Resolve Dispute, Trent Rejects Sports Scholarships
- Quick Takes: Oversight of For-Profits in Calif., 30 Years for Killers of Vermont Anthropologist, San Diego Deal Probed, Eastern Ore. President Quits, Mixed Ruling on Student Press Case, Surge in Female Enrollment at RPI, Europe Extends Exchange Efforts
- Quick Takes: Title IX Fears in Science, Top Ph.D. Feeder Universities Are Chinese, Southwestern CC Settles With Adjunct, California Strike, Possible Punishment at VCU, Unaccredited Colleges, Capella President Quits, South Africa's Unmet Needs
- Quick Takes: 3 More Lenders Settle With Cuomo, Emerson Fires Dean, General Counsel Threatens Suit Against President, Motive Seen for Graduation Threats, MiraCosta President Quits, Second Search Yields Iowa President, $150M for UCSF
- Quick Takes: Seattle VP Quits, Scrutiny of Travel at Mesa, Desegregation Suit, Pentagon Spying, British Spying, E-Mail Dispute, Presidential Leave After DUI Arrest, Katrina Claims Questioned, Impact of Black Colleges, Shleifer Loses Chair and Keeps Job
- Quick Takes: Raid and Be Raided, Antioch College President Quits, Key to Science Success, No Benefit to 'Exceptional' Lender Designation, Villanova Expels 3 Athletes, Green Mountain Drops SAT, Education Statistics, Lockout at Bishop's U.
- Quick Takes: Tennessee President Quits, Harvard Slows Work on New Campus, Protests at NYU, More Cuts at Santa Fe, Morrill to Succeed Connor at Teagle, U. of Ga. Apologizes for Condom Poster
Search for Jobs