Engineering Group Leader Apologizes for Printing Anti-Gay Letter
September 30, 2013
Norman Fortenberry, executive director of the American Society for Engineering Education, has issued an apology for the publication in the group's magazine Prism of an anti-gay letter. "I apologize. I wish to express deep regret for my error in judgment in advocating publication of Professor Wayne Helmer’s letter in the September issue of Prism and for the resulting anger, pain, disappointment, and embarrassment to ASEE members, officers, and staff and the LGBTQ community," said Fortenberry's statement. The Helmer letter said in part: "We would do well to teach the truth about the homosexual /lesbian/ bisexual/ transgender lifestyle. These dear people caught up in this destructive way of life need true help and true hope and not encouragement or approval of a detrimental, negative lifestyle."
The letter prompted an uproar by many members of the engineering society, and Fortenberrry -- while saying that the letter should have had a disclaimer -- had defended the decision to publish it. In his apology, Fortenberry expressed a new position. "My rationale in publishing the letter has been reported elsewhere and will not be repeated here," he wrote. "In that rationale I failed to recognize that there is a balance to be struck between representing a variety of viewpoints and not providing a platform for views that are generally considered outside the mainstream of public debate."
- Some professors outraged as engineering education magazine publishes anti-gay letter
- Court finds HR director's free speech rights were limited
- Baylor Dismisses Gay Alumnus From Advisory Board
- Quick Takes: U. of Texas Bars 'Preferred Lender' Lists, Audit of Pennsylvania Loan Agency, Student Assaults Prof at Andrews U., Case Western Prof Charged in Hate Letter Hoax, Brigham Young OK With Gays Who Don't Have Sex, Protests on Finnish Merger
- Federal judge rejects community college's arguments against anti-gay leaflets
- No Free Ride
- Fraternity Accused of Rejecting Gay Student
- Instructor Accused of Pro-Religion, Anti-Gay Bias
Search for Jobs
PILANI, RAJASTHAN, India
La Plata, MD
Rock Hill, SC
Southeast Community College is a two‑year institution of higher education governed by an 11‑member board of governors elected from the college’s 15‑...
Since 1965, we have focused on offering education that is at a reasonable cost, good quality, and convenient with your life, either online or close-...