Eastern Michigan University fired Ron English as football coach after a tape surfaced of him yelling at team members in a tirade with numerous expletives and insults, The Detroit News reported. Heather Lycke, the athletics director, issued a statement on the dismissal Saturday: "We hold our coaches and staff to high standards of professionalism and conduct and there is no place, particularly in a student environment, where the language is appropriate. The statements made by Coach English are absolutely unacceptable. My decision to make a change in leadership of our football program was the culmination of a lot of factors including the comprehensive review of our program, the competitive performance and this tape."
The Detroit News article linked to above includes a link to a censored version of the recording.
The Eastern Echo, the student newspaper at Eastern Michigan, has released an uncensored version of the recording.
- Mixed ruling in athletes' likeness lawsuit against the NCAA
- Psy draws a crowd in the classroom
- Survey finds increases in international enrollments, study abroad
- Intel Buys Kno
- EdX Spawns Arabic Language Platform
- Academic Minute: Technology of the Terminator
- Two U.S. Representatives Criticize Accreditor
- Student's video leads to discussion of race at UCLA
Search for Jobs