At 3 Colleges, Party Themes or Costumes Offend Many
November 25, 2013
Students at three colleges in the last week have faced criticism over ethnic or racial themes or costumes at parties:
- Randolph-Macon College officials are investigating a fraternity party at which some students dressed either as "illegal immigrants" or "border control agents," and at which the latter group tried to "catch" the former, WWBT NBC 12 reported. Mark Heideman, a member of Kappa Alpha, which hosted the party, said that "it was definitely not meant to be racist whatsoever."
- Two white students at Lee University have apologized for going to a rap-themed party in blackface and with T-shirts featuring forms of the n-word, WTVC News 9 reported.
- California Polytechnic State University at San Luis Obispo is investigating an off-campus party held by a fraternity and a sorority with the theme "Colonial Bros and Nava-Hos," The Tribune News of San Luis Obispo reported. The men dressed in colonial attire while the women wore scantily clad costumes with Native American themes. One fraternity member (whose house was not involved) told the Tribune News that the party wasn't meant to be offensive. “Personally, I don’t think it was meant to be racist,” he said, given that many Greek parties involve "guy-and-girl" themes. “It’s unfair,” he said. “We are taught that Thanksgiving is Pilgrims and Indians.”
- U. of Georgia Greeks Bar Antebellum Hoop Skirts
- Fraternity Group's Tips for Avoiding Offensive Parties
- A Halloween costume debate and how we teach about societal issues (essay)
- Blackface at Party Leads to Debate at U. of Florida
- Will Photo Haunt Penn President?
- Protests at Duke Over Fraternity Party Mocking Asians
- Racism Rears Its Head
- Yale professors issue open letter on free speech
Search for Jobs
Trinity Christian College is an accredited private liberal arts college located in Palos Heights, Illinois. Since its founding in 1959, Trinity has...
Minot State University: A place to have the experience of a lifetime. Located in north central North Dakota, Minot State University is a place where...