At 3 Colleges, Party Themes or Costumes Offend Many
November 25, 2013
Students at three colleges in the last week have faced criticism over ethnic or racial themes or costumes at parties:
- Randolph-Macon College officials are investigating a fraternity party at which some students dressed either as "illegal immigrants" or "border control agents," and at which the latter group tried to "catch" the former, WWBT NBC 12 reported. Mark Heideman, a member of Kappa Alpha, which hosted the party, said that "it was definitely not meant to be racist whatsoever."
- Two white students at Lee University have apologized for going to a rap-themed party in blackface and with T-shirts featuring forms of the n-word, WTVC News 9 reported.
- California Polytechnic State University at San Luis Obispo is investigating an off-campus party held by a fraternity and a sorority with the theme "Colonial Bros and Nava-Hos," The Tribune News of San Luis Obispo reported. The men dressed in colonial attire while the women wore scantily clad costumes with Native American themes. One fraternity member (whose house was not involved) told the Tribune News that the party wasn't meant to be offensive. “Personally, I don’t think it was meant to be racist,” he said, given that many Greek parties involve "guy-and-girl" themes. “It’s unfair,” he said. “We are taught that Thanksgiving is Pilgrims and Indians.”
- Will Photo Haunt Penn President?
- Racism Rears Its Head
- How widespread are the issues facing fraternities?
- Several Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapters accused of racism in recent years
- Quick Takes: Jury Orders HP to Pay Cornell $184 Million, Disputed Report at WVU, No Confidence at Monroe CC, Bush at Furman, Facebook Snooping at Seattle U.
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories
Newport News, VA
Notre Dame, IN
Mission Viejo, CA
The Texas State University System, founded in 1911, is the first higher education system established in Texas. Beginning as an administrative means...
The Lebanese American University (LAU) is a leading, private and nonsectarian higher education institution in Lebanon. It operates under the charter...