San Jose State University announced late Friday it has that it has suspended a fourth student in connection with the alleged racial harassment of a black freshman for months during the fall semester. The case involves allegations that suitemates of the black freshman taunted him with racially charged names, posted photographs of Hitler in their room, and at times tried to put his head in a bicycle lock. Authorities charged three San Jose students Wednesday, and as word spread Thursday, many on the campus were outraged. Friday's announcement by the university said that the involvement of the fourth student had only recently come to light.
President Mohammed Qayoumi announced as well on Friday that he had met that morning with Reverend Jethroe Moore, president of the San Jose/Silicon Valley NAACP, and that they had agreed to hold a joint press conference today, that the would co-host a campus forum in December on racial issues on campus, and that the university would offer a lecture series in the spring on diversity and tolerance issues.
On Saturday, the San Jose NAACP chapter called for prosecutors to change the charges against the students from misdemeanor hate crime and battery to felony hate crime and false imprisonment, The Los Angeles Times reported. "This is not simple hazing or bullying," Reverend Moore said. "This is obviously racially based terrorism targeted at their African-American roommate.
- Report offers more information on harassment of black student at San Jose State
- 3 white students at San Jose State charged with tormenting black roommate
- Academics weigh in on the curious case of Rachel Dolezal
- Quick Takes: Adjunct Dismissal Questioned, Indiana Buyouts, Temple U. Suspends 4 for Possible Anti-Semitic Attack, Obama on Books, Honor for Ex-Internees, Brown Adds Aid, Win for Upward Bound, Apps Up in New Orleans, 'Unplugged' Frost, Pay to Play in NJ?
- A Post-Katrina Expulsion of 4 Black Students
- University's action over student who posted a swastika on a bulletin board sets off international debate
- Michiganders Will Vote on Affirmative Action
- Peaceful End at Guilford?
Search for Jobs