In July, there was much chatter about a Craigslist ad from the mother of a student about to enroll at Harvard University. The ad sought a young woman to have sex with her son, a virgin whom she feared was too shy to learn about women without some secret coaching from Mom.
Now there is a new Craigslist ad -- this time from someone who appears to have just been admitted to next year's class. "I am looking for someone to attend Harvard University pretending to be me for four years, starting August 2014. I will pay for your tuition, books, housing, transportation, and living expenses and pay $40,000 a year with a $10,000 bonus after graduation. All you have to do is attend all classes, pass all tests, and finish all assigned work, while pretending you are me. You do not need to worry about being accepted, I have already taken care of that." The ad specifies that applicants must have 4.0 grade-point average in high school, or a 3.5 or higher from a university.
A fake? Who knows. Inside Higher Ed sent an email to the reply address and hasn't heard back. A Harvard University spokesman said via email: "We cannot verify the veracity of an online ad. We regularly take appropriate steps to ensure that only students admitted to Harvard College matriculate." Harvard has been duped in the past.
- Quick Takes: Obama Picks Adjunct for VP, Presidential Assist With a Keg, Accused Prof Is Likely Dead, Miami Bans Frosh Cars, UMass Seeks to Limit Drinking, Atheists' Gay Jesus Poster Stirs Anger
- Quick Takes: Edwards on Higher Ed, UCLA Sees Surge in Black Frosh, Colleges Fear Chemical Rules, Scholars Reinstate Iranians, Thomson Sells Higher Ed Units, College Nixes Mining Funds, Hunger Strike Ends, Settlement in Duke Case, No Confidence in Philly
- Quick Takes: Frosh Vaccinations Urged, Anti-Gay Fliers at Southern Oregon, Animal Research at Reno, Accidental Admissions at Cal Poly Pomona, Ouster at Quincy
- What Your Frosh Know (and Don't)
- Quick Takes: Record for Women at Academy, Boycott Backlash, Sprinklers, Lonely Frosh, Lay President, Aid Fraud, Big East-ACC Deal
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories