May 9, 2014
The following colleges and universities have announced their commencement speakers for spring 2014:
- Bethany College: Tom Ridge, former U.S. secretary of homeland security.
- Bishop State Community College: Rod Risley, executive director and CEO of Phi Theta Kappa.
- Boston University: Governor Deval Patrick of Massachusetts.
- Campbell University: Karen McNeil-Miller, president of the Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust.
- City Colleges of Chicago: Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook chief operating officer and author of Lean In.
- East Stroudsburg University: James Franklin, head football coach at Pennsylvania State University, and Sam Niedbala, president and CEO of CryoConcepts.
- Harvey Mudd College: Beth Shapiro, associate professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at University of California at Santa Cruz.
- Lindsey Wilson College: Dumitru Dorin Prunariu, the former Romanian cosmonaut.
- St. Lawrence University: Grace Potter, the musician; Susan A. Talve, founding rabbi of the Central Reform Congregation in St. Louis; and Donald K. Rose, who led the university's board from 2008 to 2013.
- University of Notre Dame: Rev. Dr. Ray Hammond, founder of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, in Boston.
- University of Pikeville: Governor Steve Beshear of Kentucky.
- Villanova University: Jill Biden, a professor and wife of the vice president.
- Washington College, in Maryland: Jo Ann Jenkins, executive vice president and chief operating officer of AARP.
- Wheaton College, in Massachusetts: Johnnetta B. Cole, director of the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of African Art.
Read more by
Today’s News from Inside Higher Ed
What Others Are Reading