Madonna Constantine has sued Teachers College of Columbia University for $200 million. The New York Post reported that Constantine's suit charges that the findings of plagiarism that led to Constantine's dismissal as a professor were fabricated and that the proceedings against her amounted to an "academic lynching." The word lynching is an apparent reference to Constantine's claim that someone put a noose outside her office door. That claim -- made while the plagiarism allegations were being investigated but before they became public -- led to widespread sympathy for Constantine, but investigations of the noose incident never led to any findings.
- Quick Takes: Gender Gap in Tenure at MIT, 'Obsession' and Free Speech, Obama's National Service Plan, Academics for Ron Paul, RIT in Dubai, $200M for U.S.-Canadian Telescope Project, University's Crime Report Upheld, Grawemeyer for Education
- Quick Takes: Judge Rejects Anti-Evolution Suit Against Berkeley, $200M to Columbia for Neuroscience, $200M to NYU for Ancient World, Soccer Deal for Rowan, Maine Calls Off Merger, Stem Cell Researcher Fired, Improving Job Market for New Grads
- Quick Takes: Education Budget Bill Becomes Law, Black College Rankings, Tuition Rise in Florida Defies State Officials, $200M for Claremont McKenna, Dorm Rooms and Prison Cells
- Victim, Victimizer or Both?
- Quick Takes: A Prof and His Drug Company Ties, Madonna Constantine Sues Columbia, Scrutiny of Ads Against Gay Marriage, Attack on Muslim Student at Elmhurst, Economics Nobel, 'Blazing Saddles' Misfires, The Right Kind of Complaint
- Quick Takes: Madonna Constantine Fired, A Very Full Friday Option, Win for GMAT, Clean Learning, Higher Ed Act Extension (Again), Gains for Syracuse Adjuncts, Breaking News on Odysseus
- Quick Takes: Violence Threat Shuts Exhibit, Walkout at Hampshire, Double Standard Alleged, Grand Jury Probes Noose Incident, Furor Over Ashcroft Visit to Skidmore, Ohio Higher Ed Reforms, UMass Online in China, Apologies at Lehigh, British Prodigies
- Under Assault
Search for Jobs