St. John's College in New Mexico, ever proud of its emphasis on the classics, printed a T-shirt last year that in Attic Greek (theoretically) said: "If you can read this, you're overeducated." As The Santa Fe Reporter detailed, however, someone at St. John's needs some help with Greek. The accents were wrong, so the phrase doesn't read as intended, as the college discovered when someone sent a T-shirt to Thomas G. Palaima, a professor of classics at the University of Texas at Austin. He sent word back and the T-shirts are off the market. Via e-mail, Palaima said that the error didn't make it impossible to understand the meaning of the phrase, but was the equivalent of writing the college's name this way: "sT' joHns. College."
- Oxford debates the role of its librarians and libraries
- Timely Answer to 'Where'd You Go to School?'
- The Newest Trademark? College Colors
- Essay on value of liberal arts to business students
- The Life and Times of T-Shirts
- Rallying for For-Profit Colleges
- Football Is ... Everything?
- Essay on the meaning of Constitution Day to higher education
Search for Jobs