How Students Use Wikipedia
March 17, 2010
College students love Wikipedia, and a study published in the journal First Monday offers details on how they use the Web encyclopedia. Among the findings of a survey at six different colleges:
- A majority frequently used it for background information, but less often than they used course readings and Google.
- Architecture, engineering, and science majors were more likely to use Wikipedia for course research than were those in other majors.
- Wikipedia is generally used in combination with other information, not alone.
- A Stand Against Wikipedia
- Open Access Encyclopedias
- Are We Ready to Use Wikipedia to Teach Writing?
- A Wiki Situation
- Sociology association encourages members to help improve Wikipedia
- To Profs, YouTube Tops Twitter
- West Virginia U to hire gender-gap-focused 'Wikipedian-in-residence'
- Common Knowledge: Jemielniak on Wikipeda
Search for Jobs
Cedar Rapids, IA
Chestnut Hill, MA
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
North Dartmouth, MA
The University The University of Massachusetts Boston is nationally recognized as a model of excellence for urban public universities. The scenic...
Founded in 1824 as the first technological university in the English-speaking world, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute made an indelible mark on both...