Joel Bouwens, chair of the Hope College board, has released a letter criticizing a petition on gay rights as "ambush journalism," The Grand Rapids Press reported. The petition, by students, faculty and alumni, called on the college to reconsider its policies, following a decision to reject a visit by a screenwriter because he is also a gay rights activist. Bouwens said that board members weren't afraid to consider these issues, but criticized the petition organizers for telling their story to reporters. They, in turn, said board members were criticizing the messenger rather than considering the issues.
- Narrow Escape From the Mush
- Michiganders Will Vote on Affirmative Action
- Philosophers Against Bias
- Antioch: Report From Ground Zero
- Protest Ends with 'Whoops'
- Dispute at Gallaudet over chief diversity officer's gay marriage stance
- Dartmouth Approves Controversial Board Changes
- New statement seeks to reframe academic debate about Israel boycott
Search for Jobs