The Citadel on Saturday issued a statement in which it said that it investigated but did not report an allegation it received in 2007 that a summer camp counselor who was a cadet had inappropriate sexual activity with a camper in 2002 in a Citadel summer program. The statement said that the charges could not be corroborated and that the family of the camper was very concerned about its privacy. Nonetheless, the Citadel statement said, the institution has "regret that we did not pursue this matter further." The statement noted that the cadet -- Louis ReVille -- "was a highly respected cadet whose peers elected him chairman of the Honor Court, and at graduation he was presented the award for excellence in public service."
ReVille went on to become a coach and educator and worked with many schoolchildren in South Carolina until his arrest last month on charges of sexually assaulting five boys, The Post and Courier reported. More charges are expected. The Post and Courier filed an open records request last week for material related to the 2007 Citadel investigation of ReVille.
- Quick Takes: Breakthrough on Stem Cells, Plagiarism Scandals at 2 Ohio Universities, Miami Janitors Approve Contract, Sexual Assaults at Citadel
- Documentary on campus sexual assault drops claim that 35 colleges declined interviews
- Quick Takes: Northridge Student Held in Iran, Debt Is Up, Ex-Dean at Louisville Indicted, Grade Tampering, Ad Compares Stem Cell Research to Tuskegee Study, Young Voters, Oral Roberts Settles, Threats at Neb., Apple U., SUNY Criticized on Crime Reports
- Forty years after first female cadets, service academies still exempt from Title IX
- Debate over Confederate symbols grows as Citadel seeks to move its flag
- New documentary suggests (incorrectly) that no college leaders would sit for on-camera interviews
- U.S. civil rights office finds Title IX violations at VMI and settles with Tufts
- Do They Ever Learn?
Search for Jobs