Williams College canceled all classes and athletic activities Monday after an incident of apparent racial bias -- and the college's initial response to it -- agitated many students. The phrase “All Niggers Must Die” was found scrawled on a hallway wall in a campus dorm early Saturday morning, according to a statement released by Adam Falk, the college’s president. An initial e-mail to the campus angered students who thought the message's wording was vague, said Colin Adams, a member of the college’s faculty steering committee and professor of mathematics. Students demanded the cancelation of classes to create time for reflection about the incident, said James Kolesar, assistant to the president for public affairs. He said a police investigation into the incident is continuing.
Students and faculty and staff members participated in a day’s worth of programming on issues of inequality and diversity. The main event was held near midday, with about 1,000 students, faculty and staff members assembled for several speeches by administrators and student leaders. “As we together organize our individual, group, and college-wide responses, may that be with outrage at what has occurred and at what too many members of the campus community are continually burdened by, along with the resolute sense that in the end we will succeed in making this campus, nation, and world a place that is safe for all,” Falk wrote in his second statement to the campus Monday.
- Banishing myths about a college’s board and administration
- Blackface Incident at Southern Mississippi
- Professor tries improving lectures by removing them from class
- Citing Security, U. of California Board Calls Off Meeting
- Western Accreditor Adopts Reforms on Academic Quality
- Colleges place more emphasis on liquidity and tracking it
- Report Links College to Promising 'Career Clusters'
- Occupy protests focusing increasingly on student debt
Search for Jobs