A new poll by Gallup has found that 46 percent of Americans believe that "God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so." Another 32 percent believe that humans have evolved over millions of years but "God guided the process." And only 15 percent believe that humans evolved without help from God. The breakdown is similar to that Gallup found in 1982, when it started asking about evolution. But in the last year, the percentage who believe in a creationist view increased from 40 to 46 percent, with the other two categories dropping.
Other findings of the new poll:
- Among those who attend church weekly, 67 percent hold the creationist view.
- Among Republicans, 58 percent hold the creationist view. (The figure for Democrats is 41 percent.)
- By educational status, those with some postgraduate education are least likely (25 percent) to hold the creationist view, but among college graduates, the share (46 percent) matches that of the general population.
The analysis by Gallup states: "Most Americans are not scientists, of course, and cannot be expected to understand all of the latest evidence and competing viewpoints on the development of the human species. Still, it would be hard to dispute that most scientists who study humans agree that the species evolved over millions of years, and that relatively few scientists believe that humans began in their current form only 10,000 years ago without the benefit of evolution. Thus, almost half of Americans today hold a belief, at least as measured by this question wording, that is at odds with the preponderance of the scientific literature."
- Survey suggests a smaller science-religion divide than many perceive
- Inspired Reinforcements
- Crusade Against a Crusader
- The Huckster's Artful Dodging on Evolution
- Bethel in Indiana: Faculty members can no longer take leadership roles in groups that differ with biblical inerrancy
- Darwin, From the Creationists
- Fall From Grace
- Believing in God and Evolution
Search for Jobs