The Aspen Institute today named 10 finalists for the second iteration of its Prize for Community College Excellence, which has sought both to shine a light on the good work of two-year colleges but also to redefine strong performance in the increasingly important sector and produce better data about it. The 10 finalists, which were chosen from among 120 semifinalists named in April, were selected based on their results in three key areas -- performance, improvement and equity. Six of this year's 10 finalists are new from last year, and four are repeat performers: Lake Area Technical Institute, in South Dakota; Santa Barbara City College, in California; Walla Walla Community College, in Washington; and West Kentucky Community and Technical College. The winner, and as many as four runners-up, will be named next March. Two are members of the Kentucky Community-Technical College System, and two are from Florida.
The finalists are:
- Brazosport College, Lake Jackson, Tex.
- Broward College, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- College of the Ouachitas, Malvern, Ark.
- Kingsborough Community College - City University of New York, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Lake Area Technical Institute, Watertown, S.D.
- Santa Barbara City College, Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Santa Fe College, Gainesville, Fla.
- Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College, Cumberland, Ky.
- Walla Walla Community College, Walla Walla, Wash.
- West Kentucky Community and Technical College, Paducah, Ky.
- Eyes on the Aspen Prize
- Valencia College wins first Aspen Prize
- Two community colleges share 2013 Aspen Prize
- Essay on how community colleges can do better
- Education Department names the remaining colleges on monitoring list for ‘severe’ audit findings
- New Presidents or Provosts: Charles R. Drew U. of Medicine and Science, Chattahoochee Valley CC, City College of New York, College of the Holy Cross, Doane College, Gadsden State CC, Macon State College, U. of Kentucky
- Education Department names most of the colleges facing heightened scrutiny from federal officials
- New Presidents or Provosts: Arkansas State U.-Jonesboro, Bluegrass Community and Technical College, Hunter College, Northwestern College (Iowa)
Search for Jobs