Saying that student borrowers have been left out of the "refinancing boom" that has resulted from low interest rates, Campus Progress, a branch of the Center for American Progress called for a federal program allowing refinancing for student loans — including private student loans — at a lower rate. Unsubsidized undergraduate loans, and all graduate loans, currently have a 6.8 percent interest rate. (The interest rate for federally subsidized student loans is set to double to 6.8 percent on July 1.) "Reduced student loan costs boost the likelihood of repayment while also stimulating the economy by freeing up income that can be used and spent in other sectors of the economy," the group wrote.
- Fixing the student loan interest rate problem, at no cost (essay)
- Student loan interest rates will double July 1
- How much impact will interest rate increase have on student borrowing?
- Student loan interest rate proposals from House Republicans and some Senate Democrats
- Obama said to propose market-based interest rate for student loans
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories