Westboro Baptist Church, known for turning up at locations nationwide for anti-gay protests, has announced plans to rally at Vassar College (or as Westboro calls it "Ivy League Whorehouse Vassar College") later this month. The church plans a 45-minute protest against Vassar, which it calls a "filthy institution ... wholly given over to the fag agenda." Jon Chenette, acting president at Vassar, sent a campuswide letter inviting students and faculty members to respond to the inflammatory statements in ways that would "celebrate the inclusiveness of our community and the multitude of backgrounds, interests, and preferences that enrich our experiences." Some students and alumni created an online fund-raiser for the Trevor Project, which provides counseling for young gay people who may be facing crises or thinking of suicide. The initial goal was to raise $4,500 -- or $100 for each minute that Westboro plans to be at Vassar. So far, contributions have topped $47,000.
- Dartmouth rescinds offer to dean over past anti-gay statements
- Answering an Uninvited Preacher
- Baptists, Gays and Trustees
- Quick Takes: Harvard's Shortlist, Anti-Gay Slurs on Dead Pledge, Layoffs at Southern Oregon, Undercover Applicants to Britain, Court Grants Immunity to Miami U. Officers, Jaywalking Arrest Investigated
- Quick Takes: Layoffs at Xavier U. of La., Georgia Press Withdraws Short Story Collection, Seton Hall Demotes Assistant Dean for Criticizing Church's Anti-Gay Stance, Jail Terms in Chico Hazing Death, Anti-Gay Comment Divides Duquesne
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories