Texas legislators are rallying around Bill Powers, the University of Texas at Austin president who may be the target of another ouster attempt by regents close to Governor Rick Perry, the Associated Press reported. Lieut. Governor David Dewhurst on Tuesday announced plans for Senate hearings on whether the UT Board of Regents is meddling too much into the decisions Powers makes. Further, he denounced what he called "character assassination" of Powers and his family in the form of anonymous letters he said are circulating among board members. Dewhurst did not offer specifics on the letters.
- U of Texas political tensions to come to a head in legislative hearings this spring
- U. of Texas at Austin leader won't be forced out immediately
- Is U. of Texas at Austin president being forced out?
- Reign of the Politician-Chancellor
- Investigation finds UT-Austin president influenced admissions decisions
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories