Rutgers University will commission an independent review of “the circumstances surrounding the men’s basketball program as well as the procedures used to investigate allegations related to former head coach Mike Rice,” officials announced Monday. The review will look at how Rice’s behavior was addressed, form recommendations on how Rutgers can “improve,” and should move forward quickly, President Robert Barchi and Board of Governors Chair Ralph Izzo said in a joint statement.
Four Rutgers officials, including Rice and the former athletics director Tim Pernetti, have been fired or resigned since video of Rice physically and verbally abusing players at practice was made public last week. Izzo revealed Friday that the chair of the board’s Governors Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics had – like the ousted officials -- seen the video back in December but failed to act, and at least one state senator called on him to resign.
- Basketball coach salaries, bonuses rising faster at non-elite programs
- Rutgers says it didn't have cause to fire Rice. Contract suggests otherwise
- Report shows how Rutgers botched handling of former coach, reiterates 5-year-old recommendations to improve athletics
- Essay on online learning strategies for black colleges
- New book explores professors' politics and the debates about those politics
- Study shows women in political science sometimes play down family while job hunting
- Video shows Rutgers basketball coach assaulting players and using slurs
- Iowa Senate Rejects 2 Nominees for Board of Regents
Search for Jobs