Europe's universities need to focus on teaching, and to assure that all professors and instructors know how to teach, says a new report from the European Union's High-Level Group on the Modernization of Higher Education. The report calls for "certified teacher training" for all instructors by 2020. A statement from the co-chairs of the working group said: "[M]any higher education institutions do not place enough emphasis on teaching in comparison to research, even though both are core missions of higher education. This needs rebalancing. The role of teaching in defining academic merit needs a stronger emphasis and recognition, especially in career terms. Ultimately, we should not forget that this is about the students -- how to offer them the best possible learning environment and education."
- New Academy of Arts and Sciences report stresses importance of humanities and social sciences
- Big 10 provosts question partnerships with ed tech companies
- Would You Wear These Glasses to Teach?
- Bachelor's-Degree Holders Who Attend Community College
- Jury Hits Vatterott College with $13 Million Penalty
- Academic Minute: Novel Behavior and Evolution
- Essay on how to do well in interview for an academic job
- Australian universities to offer fee-based credit for MOOCs
Search for Jobs