Ten professors were among the 21 people named as the latest class of MacArthur Fellows. The fellowship, from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, provides $625,000 over five years, no strings attached. Many refer to the program as the "genius awards," even if the foundation doesn't.
Biographies of this year's fellows may be found here.
The academic winners:
- Danielle Bassett, the Skirkanich Assistant Professor of Innovation at the University of Pennsylvania
- Tami Bond, professor of civil and environmental engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Sarah Deer, professor of law at the William Mitchell College of Law
- Jennifer L. Eberhardt, associate professor of psychology, at Stanford University
- Terrance Hayes, professor of writing at the University of Pittsburgh
- Mark Hersam, professor of materials science and engineering at Northwestern University
- Jacob Lurie, professor of mathematics at Harvard University
- Khaled Mattawa, associate professor of English language and literature at the University of Michigan
- Tara Zahra, professor of East European history at the University of Chicago
Yitang Zhang, professor of mathematics and statistics at the University of New Hampshire