- New Presidents or Provosts: Amherst College, Appalachian State U., Haskell Indian Nations U., North Georgia College
- New Presidents or Provosts: Eastern New Mexico U., Macalester College, Northeastern U., Southern U., U. of Wisconsin-Madison, Western Michigan U.
- What's Next for Wisconsin?
- As allegations fly, Amherst College tries to counter sexual assault issues
- Flexibility -- But for (and From) Whom?
Carolyn A. (Biddy) Martin is leaving the chancellor's position at the University of Wisconsin at Madison for the presidency of Amherst College. Martin has been at Madison for three years, during which she had notable successes early on in building student support to pay more for improved undergraduate education. But in the last year, she has been a key player in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to gain significant independence for Madison from the university system. Martin argued that the changes were needed for Madison to compete with the best research universities nationwide, but other campuses said that the system would be hurt if Madison left. Martin, an advocate for low-income students and more diversity in higher education, noted in the announcement of her move to Amherst the extent to which the college has a strong commitment on those issues, as well as an outstanding academic reputation.
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories