- Five-time president in hot water again, suspended by board following accusations of lavish spending
- In fifth presidency, Evan Dobelle faces many allegations that ended his fourth
- New Presidents or Provosts: Collins College, Freed-Hardeman U., King Abdullah U. of Science and Tech, Loyola Marymount U., Luna CC, SUNY Cobleskill, SUNY College of Tech at Alfred, Westfield State College
- Quick Takes: Alleged Conflicts of Interest at Cambridge College, Call for Reform in Engineering, $2.5M for Dorm Death Suit, Big Bond Plan for Virginia, New Member for 5 Presidencies Club, Progress for New Jersey's Medical University
- A new book explains how college presidents and boards can avoid leadership disasters
Evan Dobelle has announced his retirement as president of Westfield State University, The Republican reported. For the past few months, Dobelle has been under fire by Massachusetts officials over reports of his big spending on travel and entertainment. Westfield State's board suspended Dobelle with pay last month, and he then sued the board, saying it had acted illegally.
In a statement, Dobelle said: "[T]he unnecessary and unfortunate distractions of the last several months have led me to conclude that the only appropriate path for the University is one which will allow it to move forward unencumbered by such diversions. This path will provide a means by which the university can emerge, before the spring semester begins, from the recent torrent of gratuitous media attention and can get back to focusing its efforts and energies where they are best put to use -- for the benefit of the students, faculty, and a decidedly bright future."
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories