Dozens of higher education interest groups submitted comments last week on Senator Tom Harkin’s draft proposal to reauthorize the Higher Education Act.
The American Council on Education submitted a consensus letter, signed by 20 other higher education groups, that laid out provisions that garnered widespread support as well as concern. The group’s letter praises efforts to expand and ease access to federal student aid. But it says that colleges and universities are opposed to proposals that would increase federal regulation and reporting requirements. They also oppose a provision that would hold colleges accountable for how well their graduates are able to repay their loans.
The council said that different sectors of higher education are split over making accreditation documents public, creating a student unit records system, and state-federal college affordability partnerships.
Following are some of the letters submitted separately to Harkin’s office by other higher education associations:
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (cover letter)
- Association of American Universities
- Association of Public and Land-grant Universities
- American Association of State Colleges and Universities
- American Association of Community Colleges and the Association of Community College Trustees
- Council on Higher Education Accreditation
- Group of accrediting agencies
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators
- At Senate hearing aimed at states' role in college affordability, Indiana attorney general points finger at feds
- Departing Senator Harkin releases his Higher Ed Act reauthorization bill
- Bipartisan support for bringing back federal aid for 'ability-to-benefit' students
- Lawmakers FAFSA simplification legislation, as HEA reauthorization in Senate heats up
- Higher ed associations, disability rights groups clash over campus technology standards
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories
College of Veterinary Medicine: Clinical Assistant Professor in Exotic Animal Specialty - Veterinary