April 23, 2013
The following colleges and universities have announced their commencement speakers for spring 2013:
- Alma College: John Dau, a genocide survivor who now leads efforts to provide medical assistance to people in Sudan.
- Bemidji State University: U.S. Marine Corps Lt. General Thomas Waldhauser, senior military assistant to the U.S. Secretary of Defense.
- Bethany College, in West Virginia: Ralph Baxter, partner at Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe.
- Camden County College: Rutgers University–Camden Chancellor Wendell E. Pritchett.
- Dominican University of California: Dana King, artist and former anchor for CBS-5 television in San Francisco.
- Eastern Kentucky University: First Lady Michelle Obama; Charles Wethington, former president of the University of Kentucky, and Silas House, the author.
- Franklin & Marshall College: Melanne S. Verveer, the first U.S. ambassador-at-large for global women's issues.
- Fresno Pacific University: Stephen Varvis, the university’s provost.
- Ohio Northern University: Robert Manning, Mars Exploration Program chief engineer, and U.S. Representative Tom Reed of New York.
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology: G. Felda Hardymon, a partner with Bessemer Venture Partners.
- University of the Arts: Douglas Carter Beane, the playwright and screenwriter.
- University of Texas at Arlington: Kal Penn, the actor and political activist.
- University of Washington at Bothell: Oscar Arias, the former president of Costa Rica.
- Westminster College, in Utah: Robert Redford, the actor and environmental activist.
Read more by
You may also be interested in...
Today’s News from Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Quick Takes
What Others Are Reading