April 23, 2013
The following colleges and universities have announced their commencement speakers for spring 2013:
- Alma College: John Dau, a genocide survivor who now leads efforts to provide medical assistance to people in Sudan.
- Bemidji State University: U.S. Marine Corps Lt. General Thomas Waldhauser, senior military assistant to the U.S. Secretary of Defense.
- Bethany College, in West Virginia: Ralph Baxter, partner at Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe.
- Camden County College: Rutgers University–Camden Chancellor Wendell E. Pritchett.
- Dominican University of California: Dana King, artist and former anchor for CBS-5 television in San Francisco.
- Eastern Kentucky University: First Lady Michelle Obama; Charles Wethington, former president of the University of Kentucky, and Silas House, the author.
- Franklin & Marshall College: Melanne S. Verveer, the first U.S. ambassador-at-large for global women's issues.
- Fresno Pacific University: Stephen Varvis, the university’s provost.
- Ohio Northern University: Robert Manning, Mars Exploration Program chief engineer, and U.S. Representative Tom Reed of New York.
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology: G. Felda Hardymon, a partner with Bessemer Venture Partners.
- University of the Arts: Douglas Carter Beane, the playwright and screenwriter.
- University of Texas at Arlington: Kal Penn, the actor and political activist.
- University of Washington at Bothell: Oscar Arias, the former president of Costa Rica.
- Westminster College, in Utah: Robert Redford, the actor and environmental activist.
Read more by
Today’s News from Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Quick Takes
What Others Are Reading