May 14, 2013
The following colleges and universities have announced their commencement speakers for spring 2013:
- Bronx Community College of the City University of New York: Quiara Alegría Hudes, an award-winning playwright.
- City College of the City University of New York: Matthew Goldstein, the retiring chancellor of the CUNY system.
- College of the Holy Cross: Anne Fadiman, the Francis Writer in Residence at Yale University.
- Hardin-Simmons University: Teresia Taylor, who is retiring as the university's head of the Department of Foreign Languages and senior professor of Spanish.
- Lehigh University: Bill Nye, "the Science Guy."
- Mount Ida College: Setti Warren, mayor of Newton, Massachusetts.
- National Louis University: Representative Gwen Moore, Democrat of Wisconsin; and Michele S. Jones, former director of external veterans/military affairs and community outreach for the President’s Veterans Employment Initiative.
- New York Institute of Technology: Edward Guiliano, president of the institute.
- Pratt Institute: Kurt Andersen, novelist and radio host.
- Scripps College: Ruth Markowitz Owades, an entrepreneur and corporate director.
- St. Edward's University: Maria Otero, former under secretary of State for civilian security, democracy and human rights.
- St. John's College, in New Mexico: Jill Cooper Udall, an arts advocate and lawyer.
Read more by
Today’s News from Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Quick Takes
What Others Are Reading